Did you know that having plants in your home can improve your overall health? A few well-placed ferns, spider plants, air plants and succulents can do wonders for your overall wellbeing. Scientists recommend one potted plant per 100 square feet to feel the benefits. You can even get plants tailored to your needs, like plants that will help remove formaldehyde from the air. Here are just a few of the reasons that you need to consider going green in 2018!
- Plants clean and purify the air.
- Plants lower the risk for airborne illness.
-Plants boost ones overall mood by lowering anxiety, depression, and stress.
-Plants help enhance concentration, especially in office settings!
-Plants are shown to improve overall well-being in hospital patients.
-Plants have specific health benefits for certain diseases including lowering the risk for stroke, by 34 percent, ischemic heart disease, by 26 percent, COPD, by 22 percent, respiratory infections in children, by 12 percent, and lung cancer by 6 percent!
-Plants have been known to lower blood pressure.
-Plants help people recover from illness faster.
-Plants can improve sleep
-Plants can help to combat the negative effects of smoking inside.
-Plants can help you improve your overall mental health.
We have plants in every size and price point, so stop by Blumz, Holly, Ferndale or Detroit and pick something up to start getting healthy in 2018!
To learn more about how plants affect your health click here.
Want to get the most out of your poinsettias this holiday season? Here are some great tips from Blumz to make sure you do!
Pick a healthy plant. The longevity of a poinsettia plant can be dependent on its purchased condition. Select a plant that has bright green leaves and colorful sturdy bracts. After returning home with the plant, remove its protective covering and place in a location that receives indirect sunlight.
Water the plant regularly. Practicing proper watering techniques is important to the survival of all plants. Poinsettias should be watered when the plant’s soil is dry. A great way to water it is to take the plant to the sink, remove the foil wrapping and add water to the soil. The foil wrapping can be replaced after the excess water has drained from the plant. The plant can also be placed in a saucer and the foil wrapping can be punctured at the bottom of the plant to allow drainage.
Avoid direct sunlight. Because poinsettias are tropical plants, they do require some sunlight. But, placing the plant in direct sunlight can cause damage to the plant’s leaves. Extreme low or high temperatures and drafts should also be avoided.
BE AWARE: The belief that poinsettias are poisonous is a common misconception, according to a company spokesperson. A number of organizations, including Ohio State University, have documented that poinsettias are non-toxic and safe to be in homes where children and pets reside. As with many plants, poinsettias are not meant for ingestion and may cause discomfort if consumed.
Come by Blumz and check out our wide selection of poinsettias including red, yellow, white and more! We have all shapes, sizes, and colors!
So, you just had flowers delivered to you, now what?
- Keep fresh flowers away from drafts and extreme temperatures, which can quickly dry out the flowers and cause wilting.
- If your flowers came in plastic, remove this as soon as possible.
- Do not place your arrangement near fruit or in the path of cigarette smoke. The ethylene gas is detrimental to many flower types.
- Avoid placing flower arrangements in windowsills and other areas with full sun where flowers can wilt due to overheating.
- Most flowers will last longer under cool conditions.
How To Keep Your Flowers Looking Fresh
- Keep your vase filled with water! All flower and foliage stems should be submerged. Flowers stay fresher, longer when they can get a drink!
- If your flowers came in a basket or other container with foam, add fresh water every day.
- Immediately remove dead or wilting leaves and stems from fresh flower arrangements.
- Watch your water. When it gets cloudy it’s time to change it out.
Changing The Water In Your Flower Arrangement
- First remove any dead or dying flowers from the arrangement.
- After carefully removing the good flowers, clean the vase thoroughly with soapy water to remove any bacteria that could cause the fresh flowers to deteriorate even quicker. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Replace the water and mix in the flower preservative provided by your florist, according to the instructions on the packet.
- For best results, cut stems with a sharp knife at an angle about one to two inches from the bottom. This allows them to better absorb water. Do not use scissors to cut your flowers because they can crush the stems and prevent water absorption.
- Place loose stems or wrapped bouquets of fresh flowers in your water mixture as soon as possible.
Recently, The Knot released an article featuring the 5 traditions that they think are here to stay. Their list included:
1-The Wedding Cake
2-The Bridal Shower
3- Not Seeing Each Other Before the Wedding
4-Carrying a Flower Bouquet
5- The Rings
We have to a agree these traditions are still a big part of most ceremonies today. In fact, the bouquet is one of our favorite wedding traditions. Our team understands how important the bouquet is. Bouquet styles range from textured and wild to traditional and tight and everything in-between. Most brides have a idea of what their bouquet will look like before they ever walk in the door. And, when they don't we are happy to help them explore their options! It is important to pick a good floral designer and make sure that they understand your vision. It is also important to let them know what flowers you love, a good planner will help you find the blooms that you desire. There are so many ways to design your bouquet and there is literally no wrong way to do it.
Call Blumz by JRDesigns today and let's a keep this beautiful tradition alive for years to come!
~Blumz by JRDesigns
The floral wedding crown has become a huge trend over the last few years. This are a great way to skip the veil and do something different (although they can also work with a veil, depending on what you are going for). They can be created more more natural for a bohemian look or made to be a bit more upscale for a classy more traditional wedding look. We have fallen in love with this trend and are glad to see it catching on.
Some wedding parties even order floral crowns or hair accessories for everyone in the bridal party. This is a great way to keep all your girls matching without making them wear the same jewelry. Everyone from the maid of honor to the flower girl can participate in this trend.
Blumz event and marketing team even made a few crowns to wear to the Grand Circus Gala last week. It was a fun way to dress up our outfits. Floral crowns are also a great trend for nights out and for music festivals.
If you would like to learn more about floral crowns or find out how to order one for your event, festival or wedding contact Blumz by JRDesigns at 248-398-5130 or 313-964-5777.
~Blumz by JRDesigns